Sunday 6 April 2008

This week we tour local schools, dine with Rotary, look in at Pots of Love ceramic cafe, celebrate Hettie's 100th and race ducks

Monday 31 March
We have received our official photos back from the photographer to go into the Council Album of past Mayor's of the Borough of Pendle.

Official Photo in front of the doors leading towards the Council Chamber

If you remember when they were taken a few weeks back, we are perched on steps for this shot with Tony the photographer on ladders. We think that it was all worth it because they look really good.

I hold the original Pendle Seal

My trusty chainsaw, which I have had for about nine years, wasn’t starting up, so I went to my local supplier to see about part exchanging it. I came away with a new one with the same bar size of 18”. I need this to replenish the wood pile which is now looking pretty small, but I only need to get through to around May when I usually stop using the big wood burning stove.
I then nipped into work for a meeting with Tom and I heard that our company had been re-accredited for Investor In People status which we are very proud of and have held since 1997. In the afternoon I went along to Merc Engineering in Barrowford to sort out the Pendle Community Volunteers Award trophies which they are producing. We plan to make them similar to the Pendle Business Awards which looked really good.
Time to catch a bit of tea before going to the West Craven Together Board meeting at the Rainhall Centre.

Tuesday 1 April
April Fools day and there was an item on the Today programme about catching finches and flying them back to Denmark via terminal 5 at Heathrow. Nothing beats the spaghetti tree spoof that Panorama did many, many years ago on black and white telly.
We visited West Craven High Technology College in Barnoldswick as part of our tour of all the Secondary Schools in Pendle and were shown around by two of their students.
We all pose for a press photo
The head Arnold Kuchartschuk obviously has strong feelings for the area and was enthusiastic about plans for the future. We had a meeting with the School Council and I brought up the issue of the planning application for another supermarket in the town.
Neil takes an experimental shot in the school libary using the overhead reflector
Their views were as wide ranging as that of the local community and showed a great understanding of the issues. I explained that as I was on the committee that would consider the application I was not allowed to “fetter my discretion”, which means I can listen but not comment at this stage.
The head joins us in a group photo
I also explained to them the reason that the Rolls Royce factories are in Barnoldswick is because the fuel tanks of German bombers in the last world war were not big enough to get them to Barlick and back again to Germany. So Barlick never got bombed, although I am told that it had anti-aircraft guns and searchlights.
I had a quick sandwich then drove to Nelson Town Hall to meet Natalie Stewart and her friend, students doing journalism at Salford University who had come to interview me about Taxi issues. They did this on video and as well as the two question interview there was lots of walking and nodding shots.
From there we went to Barrowford School to present the Chess certificates.
The young chess players of Barrowford
The head John Hufferdine, who is retiring shortly showed us around before taking us into the hall for assembly. The children were joined by their parents and we presented certificates to the young people who had attended chess competition. One of the classes also gave us a short play about what the Vikings and their gods did.
We are surrounded by young Vikings at Barrowford school
The children all had their own part to play and had obviously been learning their lines for a long while. It was excellent and really uplifting, so everyone, including me, went out with a big smile on their face.
In the evening I went to Kelbrook Village Hall for the monthly West Craven Area Committee. Unusually it was a rather light agenda so we had finished before 9pm.

Wednesday 2 April
I looked out of the kitchen window whilst eating my breakfast muesli to see a flock of sheep getting stuck into eating my garden. With sheep you have got understand how they think to get them to do what you want. Over the years I have got rather expert at clearing sheep and cattle off my garden, so I was soon able to get this bunch into my field. Someone must have come and claimed them as when I looked later they had all gone.
Our next secondary school visit was to Pendle Community High School in Colne. We were met by the head and governors for a tour round the school. It was most interesting and we got to chat to lots of the students. We also went it to see domestic science (or whatever it is called now) where students were making chocolate buns which we sampled at the end of our visit – they were really good!
Tough questioning from the School Council

It is a very friendly school and we were very impressed with how staff and students interact. In September the school is moving onto the same site as Pendle Vale with a brand new futuristic building and facilities, so we are looking forward to seeing them when they move in.
At 1.30 I had a meeting in the new Pendle Economic Development offices at Elliot House to discuss the recent Pendle Business Awards Event. The event had been an undoubted success and we could only see minor items that needed improving for the next event. We have decided to do it every 2 years. This year we had sold all the tickets and could probably have sold more, so we may have to look for a new venue for the next one. The event stacked up financially too, which was great for our first effort. Most of the organising was down to Deborah and the rest of the officers who did a fantastic job.

Thursday 3 April
We had to make an early start, to get to St Phillip's School in Nelson in time for their school assembly to present the chess certificates and prizes.
The school hall is Victorian architecture at its best
St Phillips is only a relatively small Town School but obviously it is very friendly. We were welcomed by the Head and then the school sang a nice song for us before I gave out the prizes. We then had a tour of some of the classes to see what the children were doing.
Congratulations to St Philips chess players
As we were in Nelson and had not finally sorted out our planned visits to all of Pendle’s parks we called into the offices at Marsden Park. We decided to go around all of them on 17 and 18 April and plant wild roses at Barrowford and a silver birch tree at Kelbrook.
In the evening I went to the Rotary Club of Colne 72nd Annual Charter Dinner at Colne Golf Club.
Elaine Hardy, Ass District Govenor, Rev. Hartley, Colne's President and I meet before dinner
I was met by the president Rev. Michael Hartley who informed me that he was leaving in June to move to a new area. I am always surprised how many people that I know when I go to these sorts of events and tonight was no exception. The chief executive of Pendle Council, Steven Barnes was there with Roy Beale who his boss when he first started work in the finance department. I reminded Roy that he had a street named after him and if Steven played his cards right who knows even he may get one named after him! After the meal there was a very entertaining talk by Geoff Crambie who is undoubtedly the most knowledgeable person living, regarding the history of Colne.
Group shot including after dinner speaker Geoff Crambie - second from left
He showed us a picture of 100 great Colners, and then went on to tell us very interesting details about most of them.

Friday 4 April
Continuing our visits to all of Pendle’s secondary school we went along to Park High School in Colne. We were shown around the school by the head boy before meeting with students from all of the year groups for an informal discussion.
Year groups from Park High give me a grilling
I told them why the mill towns were built in East Lancashire (because cotton yarn weaving preferred damp conditions) and they asked us about what the Mayor did. We then went in to the sports hall to join with the school in their assembly.
Park's chess winners including Joshua Wood who won the senior cup
The school band played us in and then we went on to present the Walton Tournament Chess awards and certificates.
Awards in the school assembly
After I had given out the awards including the senior chess cup to Joshua Wood, I said a few words about the civic chain and the Birtwhistle Diamond that the Mayoress was wearing.
The girls who had won hairdressing prizes show my hair up
I told the students that whilst we were wearing the chain and the diamond we always had to have our attendant Neil with us, who also acts as our bodyguard!

Saturday 5 April
We visited the Rainhall Centre in Barnoldswick for the Arts & Crafts Fair and started by chatting to all of the interesting stalls.
I have my size 10s massaged ready for a bit more walking
I then had a foot massage by Phyll Harrison for a photo shot, which gave everyone a great deal of amusement. We then had a go at silk painting but the kids who were also doing it, were much better than me. I went on to sign a ceramic plate ready to be fired at the new Ceramic Café - Pots of Love.
Congratulating Pots of Love Ceramic Cafe on their new venture
Afterwards I said a few words of welcome Lindsay and Shelley the proprietors and to everyone in the café. It is a great idea and deserves to succeed.

I sign a commemorative plate ready for firing in the kiln
From there we drove over to Nelson to meet Hettie Cunliffe who was 100 today, together with all of her friends and relatives. I read out the card from the Queen followed by one from the Department of Work and Pensions!
Happy 100th Hettie!
We then presented our own card and flowers. Hettie had received loads of cards but was not sure what the fuss was all about. She said that if there was another do like this planned for next year she would probably go off for the day!

Air and Sea Cadets get the duck racecourse ready
In the evening we went to Nelson Old Band Club for a Duck Race. This had been organised by the British Legion who they had invited all the sea and air cadets from around the area. The idea is that 6 different coloured ducks move down a grid by big dice being thrown. You then put a bet on to support your chosen duck colour.
Ducks - are you ready?
I chose blue all night which was always leading until being pipped at the post. The cadets did the dice throwing and moving the ducks and everyone got into supporting their own duck.
They're off with my blue duck near the back
It was a great night which raised £700 for the Mayoress’s Charities. And finally, here's another great picture of proud Pendle taken by Neil.