Sunday 27 April 2008

This week we see Blacko, Bradley and Walter Street Schools, hold winners dinners, fly the flag, enjoy Jekyll & Hyde and cut Park High's 50th cake

Monday 21 April
The days are starting to warm up a bit, the swallows have found their way back to my garage and the primroses in my field give out a bright splash of colour.

Summer's on its way
We are busy making arrangements for the Pendle Community Volunteers Awards on May 7th. The awards are for me to be able to pass on the Borough’s thanks the army of volunteer workers who work week in, week out to support their community. I met with our communications team to sort out the PR and then with Pendle Community Networks who are helping organise the event. All of the nominations are now in and we shall soon be deciding the winners to be announced on the night.


Wednesday 23 April

At 9am we went along to Blacko village school to present the chess certificates.
Presentation of the Walton Chess Tournament certificate
We were shown into the school assembly where I asked the children if they knew what the special day was. And they did – St Georges’s Day of course.
We ask Blacko School what the special day is

Back to the Town Hall in Nelson in the afternoon to greet Walter Street School who had come to visit us. As usual I went into the Council Chamber, in my full regalia of gown and chains. I also showed the children how big the Mayors seat is and also how uncomfortable it is.
Walter Street children join me at the Mayor's chair



We showed them the mace which is actually a weapon with which the attendant can defend me if required, although we haven’t used it for that purpose yet. We showed them the Mayors cocked hat, size
7¼“, which is almost 100 years old and is far too big for my head, but perhaps some earlier Mayor’s had bigger heads than me.


Andy - press photographer takes a shot on the roof


Then, we did a bit of a first (probably) as I went onto the Town Hall roof for a photo of me and the flag of St George which we fly on our public buildings.


This is one of Andy's shots with me looking like I am holding the flag pole up



Both press photographers turned up and the weather was fine and sunny so we got a few good shots.



Another of Andy's shots with the flag of St George flying over the Town Hall


We then went down into the basement where we had set out one of the old police cells for a St Georges day English tea party. We had invited members of staff from other countries to join us. So we had people from Jamaica, Greece, New Zealand, Scotland and Pakistan joined us for cucumber sandwiches (with the crust cut off of course) and cream scones with our cups of tea. We all got on splendidly and compared how different parts of the world did things.



Into the old cells for our English high tea



Here’s what I would have said;
Today is St George's Day, which is England’s national day – the perfect opportunity to invite everyone living here to come together and celebrate the country in which we all live.
Today we all lead such busy lives that little of our time is devoted to appreciating our country. That is why St George’s Day, is so important.


It's the one day of the year when the whole of the nation can unite in celebration of England: its past, present and future; its countryside, towns and cities; its rich harvests, thriving industry and commerce – and, most importantly, the people who live in this land - People who live in a caring, tolerant and democratic society, who enjoy freedom of worship and freedom of speech. People who have much to celebrate.

Here are a few facts about St George;
St George was born in Cappadocia Turkey in 280AD, died on 23 April 303AD in Nicomedia Palestine –when he unfortunately lost his head!
The ancient tale tells us that St George had slain the dragon and rescued the princess
The Flag of St George was flown by Walter Raleigh, Francis Drake and by the Pilgrim Fathers when they went to discover America
St George is the Patron Saint of Scouting
Pendle usually flies the flag of St George on all its public buildings

Please enjoy the English tea of cucumber sandwiches and cream scones in these historic police cells where in times past some Nelson miscreants would have spent a bit of time.

And of course Shakespeare wrote; Cry God for Harry, England and St. George!

Thursday 24 April
I attended Reedley Court to support the Council with the appeal against the Shamania Festival event License which as the Licensing Committee we had granted some months back. Barristers where representing both the council and the objectors and being Chairman of Licensing I was there as a witness. However the district judge decided as this was in effect a re-hearing and what had happened at the Committee was not relevant to the day. So I was released, and as the case was scheduled to take around 3 hours I was glad to do other things. I heard later that the judge had still given the go-ahead for the event with a limit on attendees at 1500. This was slightly more than attended last year at 1300.
In the evening we went to see Jekyll and Hyde the musical at Colne’s Hippodrome Theatre. The impressive old theatre is run entirely by volunteers funded by what they take at the box office.

We are greeted at Pendle Hippodrome to see the excellent Jekyll & Hyde

The professional standard show with excellent acting and singing was well received by the audience. I thought that the sound and lighting were excellent and set design outstanding. We had been warned that it could be considered slightly raunchy, but they said that you can’t put of Oklahoma every year! We thoroughly enjoyed it, well done The Pendle Hippodrome Theatre Company.

Friday 25 April
We needed an early start to be at Bradley school in Nelson for their assembly. We always enjoy watching the children getting prizes and certificates for their efforts and we were there to present our chess certificates. Afterwards we were shown around the school which is full and probably needs more space. It is an old style school building with big windows and classrooms.
From there I nipped in to Pendle Community Networks office to agree the winners of the Community Volunteers Awards. I then walked back to the Town Hall and signed over 125 letters which we are sending out to invite the Friends of the Parks to our Reception. Incidentally have you ever tried signing your name lots of times – I can tell you that your signature takes on a life of its own. I once had to sign 2500 individual letters to residents when I was standing for election and had just had my tonsils whipped out so wasn’t feeling in the best of health. I did get elected as it turned out.


Winners Dinners! Pendle Business Award Winners lunch at the Town Hall

Then we had the last of our Business Lunches, at this one I had invited the winners of the Pendle Business Awards. I was going to call it Winners Dinners but decided instead to call it Winners Lunch as I am not sure if they still called it dinner as we used to. It was an excellent lunch and I got everyone to tell us why they started their own businesses. It was most illuminating.

Saturday 26 April
Off to Colne for Rotary’s Stroke Awareness day. I had my blood pressure checked but was busy sorting the photograph out so the reading showed slightly high. I shall have to check it again when I not busy doing stuff.

Blood pressure check up

From there we went down to Park High School for their 50th anniversary. I have been trying to get to as many schools in Pendle as possible but I have been to Park High much more than the others, for different events that they have held.

We join Park High for their 50th birthday

The sports hall was full of present day students, ex-students, staff and ex-staff. I told them that I was wearing the same old Colne Chains of Office that were worn on that day 50 years ago. I also showed them the Birtwhistle Diamond that the Mayoress was wearing.

Cutting the 50th birthday cake which is being distributed to senior citizens

Interestingly I met a gentleman who used to teach at the school and was also the last Mayor of the Borough of Colne, before we all got joined together into Pendle. I asked him if he had had the gas lamps installed outside his house – he did, and was the last Mayor to get them, one of which is now in Colne Library. On an earlier entry in this Blog we have a photograph of it.
In the evening I attended the Burnley & Pendle Music Society to hear the Mather String Quartet at Christ Church in Nelson. The programme included Haydn’s string quartet in C major (The Emperor), Shostakovich’s string quartet No 7 in F sharp minor and Mendelssohn’s string quartet No 2 in A minor. The young musicians - all from the Royal Northern College of Music - told me afterwards that they had enjoyed playing this evening -and it showed. I asked them where they were from and they told me Gloucester, Dublin, Hartlepool and Reykjavic. So I welcomed them to Pendle.

And finally another picture of Pendle Hill - this one taken at night and showing the great whale shape of it.