Wednesday 19 December 2007

This week we awarded a Big Idea, enjoyed Roughlee's Christmas lunch, visited Earby, met Pendle's past Mayors at Pat's Do and sung at Light up a Life.


Monday 10 December
Another very busy week coming up. And to start it off I had to get to the Town Hall in Nelson by 9.30am to present the Big Idea Awards.
Ideas UK has given Pendle Council a silver award for its staff Big Ideas suggestion scheme. The scheme was launched in 2003 to give Pendle Council staff a way to make suggestions about how to improve services for customers, save money and be more environmentally friendly. The Big Idea, as the suggestion scheme is known, picked up a silver award at Ideas UK's national conference last month.



I congratulate staff on winning the award for their Big Ideas

This is wonderful recognition for Pendle Council’s Big Idea scheme. It's the first time we've put our suggestion scheme forward for accreditation, and we're really pleased to have done so well. Ideas UK were very impressed with the Big Idea, so much so that we were only 2% away from getting the gold accreditation award. Well done to all the Council staff that work on the Big Idea, and those people who've put forward their suggestions.
One of the winners was Timebank, which lets Council staff donate unwanted holidays and flexitime to a central system for people to use when they have to take extra time off work in exceptional circumstances.

Well done for winning with the Time Bank

The idea has already helped people who have had to take care of children while their partners are ill or recovering from medical treatment, and people dealing with extreme cases of bereavement.
In the evening I attended the Standards Committee where a councillor who had had a complaint filed against was cleared of the allegation.

Tuesday 11 December
We drove over to Roughlee Parish Council for their annual Christmas Party. The council office is in what used to be the shop at Roughlee pleasure gardens. When I was still in short pants I used to buy my fishing net there when my mum and dad took me on a day out in summer. We got there on the Burnley, Colne & Nelson single decker bus that used to huff and puff over the hills so much so that sometime you could have walked faster.



Rouglee'ers get ready for their Christmas Lunch

The Christmas lunch was turkey again but I managed it, together with some Christmas pudding and a mince pie. The entertainment was the whole of the 27 children of Roughlee School who came to sing Christmas songs for us. They were very well received, as were the Trawden Ladies Choir, which followed them. In between we managed to get round to see all of the people from Roughlee who were enjoying the party.

Trawden Ladies Choir entertain


I didn’t need any tea as I got ready to go to the Burnley & Pendle NSPCC Christmas Concert at Towneley Hall in Burnley. We met the Mayor and Mayoress of Burnley in the magnificent entrance hall. Towneley Hall is an absolute gem, which is run by Burnley Council. I also used to go there a child to stare at the stuffed bear and if we were lucky get shown the “dungeons” – which I now find is a wine cellar. The Christmas Concert by the South Pennine singers had me guessing where they came from. I guessed Rochdale but got it completely wrong as they came from Burnley. They were very good and we had front row seat to enjoy their wonderful songs. The concert was followed by an impressively large buffet. As I was still full up from lunchtime, I got away with a few small sandwiches.

Wednesday 12 December
At 9am I was at a meeting of West Craven Together in the new Rainhall Centre, Barnoldswick to consider a grant application. From there I went into Nelson Town Hall for a meeting with our Communications Manager regarding the P.R. for the new Pendle Business Awards that we are planning to stage early in the New Year. I then changed into my role as Chair of Licensing and drove up to Colne’s Exchange Pub for a press photograph launching a new Taxi scheme. This will enable taxi drivers, if they decide to, to ask for the fair before allowing customers into their taxis.


Earby lights up

Back home for a quick change and then on to Earby to meet up with their Parish Chairman.


Helping the Parish Council to judge the Best Dressed Earby Shop Competition

We are there to help the Parish Council judge their best-dressed shop competition and also to continue with our Christmas shopping throughout Pendle.


Seasonal cakes in an Earby confectioners

It was an enjoyable event even if the day was very cold.


I'll have some of those sausages that you recommend

The shops had all made a special effort for Christmas and I thought that Earby shopping centre was looking its best.


The flower shop had a great display

We went back to the Parish offices to add up the scores and have a cup of tea and a piece of cake. Whilst there, Morris, a Pendle & Earby councillor, showed me their innovative wood chip boiler.


Morris shows me the Earby Parish's environmental wood chip boiler

Thursday 13 December
I went into the Town Hall for 10.30 for a meeting with officers to consider what will happen with administration of the Mayoralty, with Pat Hudson the Mayors Secretary leaving. Afterwards I went into my business for a meeting with Tom my non-executive director.

At 5.00 I was back at the Town Hall for Pat’s leaving party. We had invited all of the past Mayor’s of Pendle, who were still with us, to join us. Pat had worked for over 22 years at Pendle, so she had known 22 Mayors.


The past and present Mayors of Pendle congratulate Pat on looking after 22 of them

Ten Mayors attended and we all presented Pat with flowers and presents together with a photomontage of all of the Mayors that she had worked with. At 7pm I chaired the full Council meeting in my red robes and civic chain. This was the last meeting of the Council before Christmas and it has become traditional to have drinks in the members room afterwards. I got home by about 9.30pm.

Friday 14 December
We continued promoting Christmas shopping in local shops and this time we were in my hometown of Barnoldswick. The shops all looked inviting and we got to as many as we could.


Stephen, the Barlick Butcher is busy at Christmas


The House of Flowers - flower Shop looked really festive

Decisions Decisions has lots of Christmas gift ideas

The recently refurbished Post Office sells me some stamps for my cards

Sunday 16 December
IN the afternoon we went Pendleside Hospice in Reedley for their Light up a Life outdoor carol service.

Light up a Life Carol Service is well attended


Muriel and the hard working team at the Hospice greet us

It was absolutely freezing and although I had my coat on the cold went straight through me. Muriel Jobling who has been the driving force for the Hospice started the service.

The piper and the Salvation Army Band must have been even colder than I was

We sung well know carols accompanied by the Salvation Army band played and a kilted bagpiper played a lament.

It was absolutely freezing by this time

When it was my turn to say a few words I was so cold that my legs were shaking.


I get to meet the Hospice's resident sheep dog

Afterwards we were able to warm up inside with a nice cup of tea and a piece of cake.