Sunday 18 November 2007

This week we visit Halewood, finish the Pendle Way, present certificates, attend prize giving and congratulate our Pendle villages


Monday 12 November
I had my car booked in at 9am to get the squeak sort out so I dropped it off and walked into the office. At my business we are looking at other company’s to acquire and I spent most of the morning receiving information on one. We then picked up our accountant and went to have a look at it. The difference between other companies and our, is striking as soon as we go through their doors. After being in the design and print industry for many years I am able to spot their problems quickly. We spent 2 or 3 hours going through the information, which they provided, but decided that it wasn’t a good enough deal, so we walked away.
Back to the office for a very quick butty before setting off to Halewood Town Council (near to Liverpool). I inputted the postcode into my sat nav. and it was a complete pain. It kept trying to get me off the motorway and take me round the back streets. Anyway I got there just in time for our meeting with their Town Councillors. We had arranged the meeting to see how they operated a Town Council. They have quality council status as has our Barnoldswick Town Council, which we were representing. A most interesting meeting, with some good points to learn from them. We invited them to visit us to see our wonderful bit of Britain. I got home at about 10.30 having eaten sandwiches all day. I slept well!

Tuesday 13 November
In the afternoon we completed the Pendle Way backwards. We have now done the 45 miles of this wonderful footpath both ways. So this is 90 miles plus the 12.9 miles of the Leeds & Liverpool walk which takes us over the 100 miles.

The Pendle Way walkers look cool on Weets


We paused going up Weets Hill to wave to Jack in his farm below us on Esp Lane before carrying on to get to the trig point at the top of Weets. This is a wonderful hill; you get a magnificent 360-degree panorama.
The end of the Pendle Way clockwise and anti-clockwise 90 miles!


From the Yorkshire Dales with it's 3 peaks and Malham Cove to Blackpool Tower, and over towards Hebden Bridge. If you want to lift your spirits – just get yourself up Weets Hill.


The now traditional tea and buns at Pendle Heritage Centre

I then had to get my skates on to get to the Town Hall for a photo shoot with the Overview and Scrutiny councillors who had completed their training.

Councillors receive their certificates in the mayors Parlour

As they had left a bit of their tea, I was able to rustle up a cheese and tomato sandwich, together with some grapes and a cup of tea. I took these with me into the Scrutiny Management council meeting, which finished around 9pm.

Wednesday 14 November
We had to get into the Town Hall for 10.00am to meet the students from Nelson & Colne College who came in batches so I had to improvise a bit.

Nelson & Colne College students pay us a visit

I did this by showing them my Blog on the new projector in the Members Room. I was able to go through some of the pictures that are on it and explain a bit about them.

I show the students the old Nelson Civic Chains

We then went into the Council Chamber and showed them how I chaired the council meeting and how the council ran.
I had to stay at the Town Hall to chair the Licensing Committee at 1pm where we had a hearing brought by the police regarding an off-license in Colne selling alcohol to underage children. We imposed a penalty on it and hoped that it would act as a warning to others that we would not accept this.
In the evening I attended the West Craven Together board, and as we had lots to sort out it went on till after 10.00. But at least this time I had had time to get a proper tea.

Thursday 15 November
In the morning we held our regular monthly board meeting of my company, which I chair. In the afternoon I went to our first planning meeting for the Pendle Business Awards, which we are planning to put on early next year. The plans look good and we decide on 9 business awards from new business of the year to business person of the year.
From there I drove up to Colne to see Pendle Leisure Trust about our plans to put on a Buzz Hawkins and the Bradshaw’s in February at Colne’s Municipal Hall. Everything looks good and we should be able to raise lots of money for the Mayoress’s charities.
No time to sit down when I got home as I had to be at Pendle Vale College in Nelson for their Prize giving event. I felt to be a little bit of history as I will be the last Mayor to present the prizes in the school, which was built in 1929.

With the headteacher Mr Wilson at Pendle Vale College Prize Giving

I never imagined that when I attended prize giving’s as a young student in Burnley in the 1950’s that I would one day be up there sitting on a stage doing this. A new exciting school is being built at the side of the old one and it looks absolutely stunning. It is due to open in September next year. The Head invited me back to have a look around the new build. We also chatted about the historical artefact's in the old school and what was to become of them.

Friday 16 November
In the morning I carried on with my quest to find another company to acquire and looked at another one, which was run down but more promising. Back to the office then to see the launch of our 2 new digital presses followed by a buffet and our staff meeting.
From there to Marsden Community Primary School for their adult learners certificate presentation. We were received by Javed Khan their Extended Services Manager, in the new annex, where the adults had worked really had to achieve their results .

Awarding certificates to the adult learners

What an outstanding school! The head, Janet Taylor, is one of those people who just get’s things done and the school certainly showed it. We only had a quick look around and promised to go back for a proper visit.
After a quick change at home, I went back to the Town Hall for the Lancashire Best Kept Villages winner’s civic reception.

The Pendle villagers get congratulated in the Council Chamber

We congratulated our wonderful villages on their great achievements. Roughlee won the champion village, Blacko the best small village, and Newchurch in Pendle, the best hamlet. As if that wasn’t enough they had also won Best sheltered accommodation (Hill View - Blacko), Best War memorial (Blacko), Best special feature (Blacko school allotments), Best shop (Witches Galore, Newchurch), and Best Caravan site (Roughlee). And, Barley was also runner up as the Best Hamlet, and for the Best village hall. Newchurch School also won a highly recommended. I told everyone at the reception that when I had attended the awards ceremony I was sat next to the Mayor of Ribble Valley who was green with envy. In Pendle, we are really proud of our outstanding little villages and they have all proved their merits by winning these awards.

Saturday 17 November
Up early to get to Colne Library for our Meet the Mayor Surgery. It's a while since I was in the Libary but was impressed with how well used it was and that it now has banks of computers for internet access.

The old Colne stocks on wheels - now at Colne Libary

I met with several people about different issues of concern to themselves, which I shall look in to.

The last Mayor of Colne at his house with the Mayor's lamp outside

We took the opportunity to take a few photographs of the old Colne Mayor's lamps which were always installed outside the Mayor's House. There is absolutely no chance of me getting Mayor's lamps as there is no gas at my home. We also inspected the Colne Cross and the old mobile stocks.

Jacqui and I try to copy the old photo - but either Mayor's were shorter or attendants taller in those days.

At noon we went along to the Pendle Hippodrome’s Arts & Craft Fair.

At the Hippodrome Arts & Crafts Fair.

We started with a spot of lunch and I had meat and potato pie and mushy peas with red cabbage. That set me up to for the visit to all of the stands. Also, whilst there we had a look at their sound and light control booth at the back of the theatre.

Inspecting the new Hippodrome light panel

They had just installed a new lights control panel, which enable them to preset the lights for the shows. We also had a look in the wardrobe department where I was looking for Wallace & Grommet outfits for the Christmas Lights Switch on next Friday.

I join an advert for a forthcoming production. Dr Jeckel's the one on the left.

I did manage to find a pair of big gauntlets, now I need a crash helmet and fighter pilot goggles to fit me out for the night.
We left at 2pm to drive to Nelson to open the Faisalabad Welfare Association’s new offices on Scotland Road. I cut the ribbon to the offices with the tradition blunt pair of scissors.

Next time I shall bring my own scissors!

The office was full with many members of the community joining together to celebrate the opening. After some speeches we enjoyed a spot of food upstairs and chatted to some very interesting people.
A rare evening off so I watched Scotland get beat by Italy with what looked a very suspicious free kick in extra time. I hadn’t expected England to benefit by Israel beating Russia, so I hadn’t watched that.

Sunday 18 November
One of those rare days off! So I caught up on some of the domestic stuff that inevitably gets left when I am busy. The wood burner is now going full blast and keeping the house warm. Time also to catch up on the piles of emails that get left until I can get sort them out and do this blog, which now takes me over 3 hours.