Monday 22 October 2007

This week we visit Colne, Kelbrook, Barrowford, walk the Pendle Way, inspect St John Ambulance and see Manchester Town Hall

Monday 15 October
The Mayoress was off on holiday in Lisbon this week. In the evening I went to Colne in Bloom - Green Fingers competition at the Municipal Hall in Colne. Some of the people attending told me about how they grew things in their back yards and it was very impressive. I met a man from the Italian Restaurant who was growing tomatoes, peppers, grapes and loads of other vegetables in his little patch. I know that home grown veg. tastes the best. I encouraged everyone to continue to brighten up there own bit of Colne with their flowers and vegetables.



Tuesday 16 October

We walked the 4th leg of our anti-clockwise route of the wonderful Pendle Way.


Walking down to Walverden Reservoir


This took us from Brierfield to Coldwell Activity Centre, above Nelson. The day was again dry and we got some fine long distance views of Pendle Hill.



Very artistic! Walverden overflow.

We have been fortunate with the choice of Tuesday afternoons for our walks as it has been sunny or at least dry on most of our treks.



Outside Southfield Chapel where George Fox once preached


The walk takes us out of Brierfield and skirts the top end of Nelson before heading down to Walverden Reservoir.


Our intrepid explorers conquer Catlow Bottoms

We went over the stepping-stones at Catlow Bottom and then through the muddiest section of the walk before arriving at the Coldwell Centre. Unfortunately the café was closed so no cup of tea.

Arriving at the Coldwell Activity Centre

In the evening I continued with my quest to go around all of the 17 Town and parish councils in Pendle. This time it was Kelbrook Parish Council and we had to wait a little while to get in, as the alarm had been set off by mistake. Parish councils are the grass roots of local government and I am a great supporter of them. They don’t usually have much money but what they have, they spend for the good of their local community.


Wednesday 17 October
In the morning we had a meeting with the Pendle Youth Council representative. We are exploring ways of showing young people what happens in local government. We decided to do a sort of “speed dating” session where they can ask a councillor anything they wish for 3 minutes, before moving on to the next councillor. We also explored seeing if we could have a Youth Mayor. We are still at the talking stage but it looks positive.
In the afternoon I caught up on the latest plans for Nelson Town Centre. We need to get the high street back through Manchester Road/Colne Road but to do this we have to including lots of pedestrian safety features. The plan looks to be now almost complete after much toing and froing.
I then went in to the Pendle Business Finance Open Day. The Guardian Angels were there who support small businesses with free support from experienced mentors. I do this for several companies and help them in different ways. Sometimes it is just being at the end of the phone to help with issues that arise. As I have had my own business for over 30 years I have usually “been there and done it” so I can pass on my experience. We also met representatives from the Business Environment Association, North West Development Agency and Michelin.
I then rushed off to a meeting of the Communication Group at the Town Hall, which I chair.
Time for a quick change and then off to Barrowford Parish Council. At the question time after I had done my short run down of what is happening in Pendle, I got asked about some unusual stuff including public toilets. I did tell them that there were more of them in Pendle than Blackpool!


Thursday 18 October
I went along to St John Ambulance in Nelson for their Annual Inspection.


I immediately get treated for a broken leg

They started by treating me for a broken leg and soon had me bandaged up. After that I went around to inspect everyone including the cadets.


St John Ambulance Brigade prepare for inspection

Most of them had been in for many years and they told me how much they enjoy it. In my short speech I told them about the last time that I went to St John was about 50 years ago, when I was 13, as a member of a Boys Brigade first aid team. My job was to make the hot sweet tea and phone for the ambulance. As I hadn’t used a phone before, they are probably still waiting for ambulance.

President - Peter Dewhurst and I see that this patient looks to be critical!


Friday 19 October

An early set off to get to Manchester Town Hall for the North West in Bloom Awards.


Corridors of power

As we arrive a bit early we took the opportunity to have a quick look round including the Council Chamber. The same architect that built our Colne Town Hall built their Town Hall. Ours is very nice but not on the same scale of grandeur as Manchester. I got to meet the Lord Mayor of Manchester and I told him that we had had a short tour around and how impressed we were. He invited us back again to have a better look and we will take him up on that. From our conversations with staff and councillors their Town Hall is obviously well loved by the people that use it. At the Awards Colne in Bloom won a runner up prize for large Towns.



Winners! Shane and his mum collect the prize

In the Environmental Award (Schools), Sacred Heart School in Colne won and young Shane Pengelly went up to get the award.



A few of the Mayors Limos parked outside Manchester Town Hall

Saturday 20th October
I got my flu jab today and whilst there a shot for pneumonia which made my arm a bit sore. I used to get a regular dose of winter flu but the flu jab certainly worked for me last year.


Sunday 21st October

We went along to Barrowford Locks to set off the British Legion's sponsored walk to Burnley - about 9 miles to raise money for the Poppy Day appeal.
Army & Sea Cadets get ready to walk the Leeds & Liverpool Canal
On a bright and sunny day I gave a short speech to get them the Sea and Army cadets on their way. This stretch of the Leeds & Liverpool which runs through our area is very scenic and because Pendle Council have invested millions in towpath improvements the walking is easy too.