Monday 10 September 2007

Blog for Monday 3rd September to Sunday 9 September

Monday 3 September
Today was the last day of the Pendle Walking Festival so we joined in a walk from Barnoldswick; Bernulf’s Trail. Bernulf was reputed to be an Anglo-Saxon farmer who had settled in the area and the town is named after him.

Pendle Walking Festival -Bernulfs Trail, Barnoldswick
The interesting walk led by Edith Sheldrick took us through the town, along Butts (where towns people practiced archery in days past). Then over Monkroyd hill, down Pickles Hippins, over 40 steps at Ouzledale (there are only 39!) to Bancroft Mill. Here we had the opportunity to explore the engine house with its fascinating mill engines called James and Mary Jane. The group then walked up to Letcliffe Park for a lunch break and from there they went on to St Mary le Ghyll Church. But because I needed to get to the Town Hall I had to leave the walk there.
In the early evening I attended the West Craven Together board meeting in the newly renovated Rainhall Centre in Barnoldswick. However as I had to get to a meeting at Foulridge I had to leave early from there too. At Foulridge Parish Council I met with them to explain how the different organisations in Pendle, including theirs, all joined together. This is part of my request that I meet with all Town and Parish Council’s throughout Pendle. I also took the opportunity to tell them what I am doing as Mayor.


Tuesday 4 September
In the morning I called in to the Economic Development section of Pendle Council to meet with the new Town Centre officer Hanna. We discussed the latest plans for Nelson Town Centre including the re-opening of the road through on Leeds/Manchester Road. The plans look exciting and are needed to give Nelson a boost.
Meanwhile the new building across from the Town Hall; No. 1 Market Street has had its barriers removed and looks very impressive. This building will soon house an extra 300 jobs, which will bring more people into our Town Centre.
In the afternoon we attended the opening of the heritage shop in Whitefield, Nelson. The shop used to be an end of terrace tobacconists.

Launch of Heritage Open Days at St Mary's Church, Nelson

In St. Mary’s Church we launched the Heritage Open Days. This will be vintage bus trips, museums openings, tours of heritage sites, heritage walks and Town Hall tours, which I shall be involved in. We took the opportunity to have a guided walk around Whitefield to see the impressive progress to renovate the area.
In the evening I attended the West Craven area Committee as Mayor for the first part. Here I told them about how we all work together in Pendle and what I was doing for the next few months. I then nipped out to have my chains taken off so that I could continue as the Coates ward councillor for the rest of the meeting.

There are five Area Committees in Pendle and it is here where most things are decided for a local area. Many people feel that Area Committees are the “jewel in Pendle’s crown” and fully support decisions being made as locally as possible including planning.


Wednesday 5 September
Today we had no official engagements so I took the opportunity to get my hair cut. I go to Brierfield as I have done for many years and here Manfred, my hairdresser takes the opportunity to set the world right, especially in Brierfield. I nipped into the office to see how thing are going. My business produces educational marketing material and at this time of year is extremely busy. As my sister Dorothy is going on holiday tomorrow we all meet up at Barbara’s (the Mayoress and my other sister) for lunch. A scarce night off so I get the new grass tractor out and give the field a quick trim. I notice that the swallows are starting to gather in preparation for their long distance fly back to Africa. I always look forward to them coming in spring, (where they nest in my garage) and will be sorry to not see their aerial displays until next year.


Thursday 6 September
Today’s my birthday, and is a warm and sunny day! I joined residents and visitors on a vintage bus tour of churches and chapels as part of the Heritage Open Days. We went to see Sacred Heart Church in Colne and from there to the Inghamite Chapel at Fence before returning to the Heritage Centre for lunch.

Heritage Open Day -Vintage Bus Tour of Churches and Chapels

After a quick walk round the park we got on the vintage Ribble bus again to visit St. Michael & All Angels Church in Foulridge. After that, over to my neck of the woods, to see the ancient church of St Michael’s at Bracewell. We were told that parts of it dated back to Norman times and we were shown the very narrow steps up the tower to a tiny window where people with contagious illness were able to look into the church to follow the service below (or get fined!) I was also shown King Henry’s Parlour (now a barn) where King Henry VI hid during his escape from the Battle of Hexham in 1464.


Friday 7 September
My sister Barbara, the Mayoress, went on the next vintage bus tour visiting churches and chapels in Colne, Brierfield and Barnoldswick. I meantime caught up on my emails and tried to arrange my diary for next week.

The Lancashire Balloon & Airship Club, welcome to Barlick night

In the evening I went along to Barlick Town Football Club house to welcome the Balloon teams arriving for tomorrows Festival of Flight. The Balloonists have now been coming here for several years to take part in the event, which was previously called Balloons over Barlick. We decided to change the name, as Barlick isn’t shown on any map! The evening event went well with us serving them pie and peas after I had given them a short speech of welcome for our friends from the Lancashire Balloon and Airship Club.


Saturday 8 September
Up early to get ready for the Town Hall open day at Nelson. Here we did 3 tours at 10am, 1pm and 3pm. Mr Metcalfe from the Nelson History Society helped us and explained where the police station used to be on the site. He also showed us the old police cells where the press took a photograph of me. The tour followed on the Council Chamber where I togged up in the Mayors robe and chains gave a short run through of what happens at the council. The chains of office from the old Nelson and Colne were on show, as were pictures of all the other chains from the other councils that came together to form Pendle Council. Our visitors had time to look at pictures of previous Mayors and other Council historical documents before having a look around the Mayors parlour and then going into the Members Room for tea and biscuits.
I had to leave the 3pm tour to the attendants, as I had to get back to Greenberfield locks in Barnoldswick to welcome the charity cycle ride from Colne. The cyclists who were my son Alex, my nephew Scott and my brother in law Barry completed the ride from Leeds, distance of over 45 miles in 4 hours 8 minutes.

Welcome to the charity cycle riders at Greenberfield Locks, Barnoldswick

They had raised around £1000 for the Mayor’s chosen charities. I also met a group of walkers who lived in Leeds and they were going on a walk, which they had cut out of their local paper. As we have more footpaths in Pendle than anywhere else in the world, there are lots to go at, and the locks are a local beauty spot, well worth a visit.

The Festival of Flight - Night Glow!

In the evening, which was warm and importantly for the balloons calm, we held the Festival of Flight in Victory Park here in Barnoldswick. The event was our best yet with a massed hot air balloon take off followed by an ABBA tribute band. When it went dark the Night Glow started with lots of massive balloons, including one of an RAC van tethered in the park. Here they performed to music and light and was a great treat for everyone.

In the Fort Vale Balloon for the Night Glow

I was in the Fort Vale balloon during the performance and found that my head got very hot from being near to the gas burners!

More Spectacular Night Glow!

After the Night Glow there was a Kite night flying display. These are 6ft wide and have lights attached and are very impressive. After that, the live band on stage was Disco Disciples and they went down a storm.

See the Stunt KiteTeam perform on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6oHZQU1YTE

Festival of Flight, Stunt Kite team


Sunday 9 September
I slept well, but couldn't stay in bed, as I had to get up again for the Town Hall tours at Nelson.

Tours of Nelson Town Hall for Heritage Open Days

The Festival of Flight continued in the afternoon with lots of family entertainment. The event brings many people into to Pendle to see what we have on offer and hopefully they will come back to stay a while.