Thursday 23 August 2007

Blog for Friday 17 August and Wednesday 1st August

The hills are alive with the sound of the Mayor's boots
On top of Weets looking towards Pendle Hill

On Friday 17th August I donned my walking boots, suit and ceremonial chains, to climb the three highest hills in Pendle, ahead of this year's Pendle Walking Festival, which starts next Friday (31st).

John and I on top of Pendle waiting for the rain to stop



On top of Pendle - just 60m. short of being a mountain

My follow walkers were my attendant Jacqui King, John Belbin organiser of the walking festival, and photographer John Mills.
Jacqui, me and John at the trig point on Boulsworth

We braved the somewhat changeable weather, to reach the summits of the highest three hills in our borough; Pendle, Boulsworth and Weets.


Long distance views from Boulsworth

Our little expedition was to help promote the forthcoming walking extravaganza, which sees 40 walks take place over 4 days.
Friendly supervisor allows the Mayors car to park near Coldwell

My unusual outfit certainly created a talking point amongst fellow walkers and I hope that we got a few more recruits for the Walking Festival along the way!

I am to officially launch this year's Walking Festival at the Pendle Heritage Centre in Barrowford at 10.00am on Friday 31st August and will be making special appearances at the starting point for many of the walks over the weekend, to offer my encouragement to those taking part.

I shall also be leading the 9 mile 'Beating Barnoldswick's Bounds" walk starting in my home town of Barnoldswick, at 10.30am in Victory Park on Sunday 2nd September.

Over the 4 days, there will be more than 40 fully guided walks catering for all abilities, including children. We have some of the most wonderful countryside in Pendle, so whether you fancy a short leisurely stroll, a two-day trek, or a farm walk, come and join us, there's something for everyone.

For your free Pendle Walking Festival programme, visit www.pendle.gov.uk/walking or telephone Pendle's Tourism Office on (01282) 661981.